With the home, school, and the office now becoming a common space for employees, the attack surface broadens to includes consumers and endpoints. Employees tend to spend more time on social media and are susceptible to tech scams and phishing attacks. To address this, McAfee today announced its latest consumer security portfolio and said the enhanced offering has new features, including integrated social media and tech scam protection. Meeting consumers in their current realities, these new functionalities are designed to protect users from current threats as they navigate professional and personal life from home.
“With the convergence of home, office, and school, today’s consumers need end-to-end device and web protection that secures every aspect of their digital lives,” said Venkat Krishnapur, Vice President of Engineering and Managing Director, McAfee India. “Tailored to the increasingly connected world in which we live, McAfee’s evolved product suite is a holistic approach to securing every facet of the connected consumer’s life.”
Security and Privacy Get a Boost
According to the McAfee COVID-19 Threat Report: July 2020, from McAfee Labs, there was an average of 375 new threats per minute via malicious apps, phishing campaigns malware, and more.
To address these threats and combat emerging Coronavirus-related scams, McAfee’s product lineup includes the following updates and enhancements:
- Tech Scam Protection: McAfee WebAdvisor now provides a warning when visiting websites that can be used by cybercriminals to gain remote access to your PC, combatting the reported 128 crore total online fraud loss in India.
- Advanced Malware Detection: McAfee enhanced its machine learning capabilities to improve overall time to detect emerging threats across devices as well as added protection against file-less threats.
Improving Customer Experience
Consumers default to convenience over security, making protecting themselves online an afterthought until it is too late, and they become compromised. Despite the increase in online frauds during the pandemic, online payments in India have soared, with UPI (Unified Payment Interface) recording close to 1.5 billion transactions in July 2020.
At a time where returning to previous routines is still uncertain and internet usage continues to climb, McAfee recognizes consumers need intuitive solutions that allow them to devote attention to what matters most to them right now, including:
- A Better User Experience: An improved PC and app experience with easier navigation and readable alerts, and clear call to actions for faster understanding of potential issues.
- Updated Password Protection: Access iOS applications even faster with automatically filled in user account information and passwords in both apps and browsers on iOS devices.
Safety Now – and Into the Future
As consumers globally continue to settle into a new way of operating, they rely on the internet to live their connected lives- to get work done, seek entertainment, connect with friends and family, conduct purchases, schooling, and more.
- Optimized Product Alerts: Redesigned product alerts, so consumers are better informed about possible security risks, with a single-click call to action for immediate protection.
- Social Media Protection: To help prevent users from accidentally visiting malicious websites, McAfee now annotates social media feeds across six major platforms – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit, and LinkedIn.
- Enhanced App Privacy Check: Consumers can now easily see when mobile apps request personal information, with app privacy now integrated into the main scan of Android devices.
Disclaimer: CISO MAG did not evaluate the products mentioned in this news report. Facts mentioned here were drawn from a McAfee Press Release and CIO MAG shall not be held liable for the performance of this product.